MIAMI — The Mets had hoped to have much of their pitching depth restored within a month, but Sean Manaea suffered a setback with his recovery from an oblique strain, extending his timeline for a return.
More inflammation in the muscle was discovered this week, leading to the left-hander to receive a platelet-rich plasma shot. The regenerative shot requires a shutdown period, so the left-hander will be unable to throw for the next two weeks. Initially, the Mets estimated that he would be able to return in late April or early May, but now it appears as though he won’t be built up enough to return until May or even June.
“He’s not going to throw,” manager Carlos Mendoza said Tuesday at LoanDepot Park. “He experienced some discomfort a couple of days ago while he was starting to ramp up. We took an MRI again and it showed inflammation. He got a PRP injection yesterday, so he’s not throwing for two weeks now.”
Since Manaea had only recently begun his spring build-up, he’ll have to start over after his two-week shutdown.
“He’s going to go two weeks not throwing, then we’ve got to start building him back up again,” Mendoza said.
Manaea and the Mets were optimistic when he injured his oblique during spring training, knowing they had plenty of time to get him healthy. The rehab period was not considered to be especially lengthy since he strained the oblique on his right, non-dominant side, but that isn’t the case anymore.
This is the second year in a row the Mets have been without one of their best pitchers to start the season. Last spring, Kodai Senga injured his shoulder early, and after a number of setbacks, stops and starts to his rehab, the right-hander wasn’t able to pitch until late July. He was injured in that start, pitching 5 1/3 dominant innings before straining his calf.
Senga, now healthy, is set for his first start of the 2025 season Tuesday night against the Miami Marlins.
The rotation is also without right-handers Frankie Montas (lat strain) and Paul Blackburn (right knee soreness). Montas isn’t close, having been instructed not to throw for a period of 6-8 weeks when the injury occurred in mid-February. However, Blackburn may be able to return as soon as next week.
Blackburn was already built up when his knee started to give him trouble just days before the start of the season. He had a gel injection last week that provided instant relief, and was able to play catch Monday in Miami without any reported pain. While Blackburn is eligible to come off the injured list April 10, the Mets are unsure if he’ll need a few extra days.
“I’ve got to talk to the pitching coaches and the trainers and see how we want to build him back up,” Mendoza said. “Do we want to see 55-65-75 [pitches]? And then, how quickly can we do that? So we will have those discussions here soon.”
Second baseman Jeff McNeil, who is also on the injured list with an oblique strain, is not yet taking batting practice, but he is hitting off a tee and taking swings. Mendoza estimated he’s at about “80-85%” strength.