A police officer in Connecticut has been arrested for the fourth time since November over an incident involving domestic violence, New London authorities announced Thursday.
“It is with profound concern and disappointment that I announce the recent arrest (3/26/2025) of Officer Julio Gil-Martinez by another law enforcement agency,” New London Police Chief Brian Wright said in a news release.
Wright didn’t provide details about Gil-Martinez’s most recent arrest but mentioned that it was “the fourth incident related to domestic violence.”
Court records show the 29-year-old New London cop was arrested Wednesday night for allegedly breaking a protective order, local station WTNH reported.
Gil-Martinez, who’s currently on administrative leave from the department, was first arrested in November on charges of domestic violence, including assault, unlawful restraint and strangulation/suffocation.
He was accused of using violence during an argument with his ex-girlfriend, Fox 61 reported.
His second arrest came on Jan. 10, when authorities said he violated a restraining order.
Gil-Martinez was arrested once again earlier this month, after the victim told police he called her multiple times and kept showing up at her home, work and bars and restaurants she visited, according to the arrest warrant.
He was charged on March 17 with first-degree stalking and violation of a protective order, the Harford Courant reported.
On Thursday, a day after Gil-Martinez’s fourth arrest, Chief Wright said in a statement that the situation is “a tragedy that impacts not only those directly involved but also our entire community.”
He added that an internal investigation will be “conducted thoroughly” to ensure the situation is handled properly while reassuring the community that “the actions of one individual do not reflect the dedication and professionalism of the many members of the New London Police Department.”