A young man was stabbed in the hip as he fought with a group of preteens, the youngest just 11, on a Bronx train early Saturday, police said.
The bloodshed occurred amid a flurry of violence in the borough, which saw five murders in six days, plus several more people wounded in separate shootings.
The victim told police he was riding a northbound No. 6 train at about 3:30 a.m. when he got into an argument with the three children.
The argument continued as the train reached the St. Lawrence Ave. station at Westchester Ave. in the Bronx’s Soundview Section.
Just before the man was about to exit the train, one of the teens stormed up and jammed a knife into his hip, cops said. The victim hobbled off the train, while his attackers stayed on as it departed the station.
Responding officers apprehended the teens at the train’s last stop at the Pelham Bay Park station, officials said. Criminal charges were not immediately filed.
EMS rushed the wounded man to Jacobi Hospital, where he was treated for a minor wound, cops said.
Mayor Eric Adams on Thursday said the NYPD would assign 1,000 extra cops to tamp down crime in the troubled borough.
He made the announcement on a basketball court at Haffen Park in Baychester, where a gang-related mass shooting at a basketball tournament on Aug. 23 left one man dead and four wounded, including a teen girl in critical condition with a bullet lodged behind her eye.
“The shooters are getting younger and younger, and the victims are getting younger and younger,” Adams said at the time. “We can’t keep doing this.”
Two of the four suspects arrested in the park slaying were minors, officials said.
Michael Appleton/Mayoral Photography Office
Mayor Adams speaks at a basketball court at Haffen Park in Baychester on Thursday, the site of Saturday’s gang-related mass shooting. (Michael Appleton/Mayoral Photography Office)
One day before the shooting at the tournament, four teens between the ages of 13 and 15 were wounded when gunfire broke out around 4 p.m. on Tratman Ave. near St. Peters Ave., down the block from The Pearly Gates playground in Westchester Square, cops said. No arrests have been made in that case.
Back-to-back homicides occurred in the Bronx on Tuesday, including one during a robbery. On Wednesday, disgruntled tenant Jimmy Avila fatally shot the superintendent of his apartment building during an ongoing dispute involving access to the backyard, officials said.
The violence continued on Friday night when three men were shot outside a church in Fordham. All of the injuries were minor, cops said.
The Bronx has had more shootings so far this year than all of Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island combined. The Bronx also leads the city with 69 murders this year, amounting to a third of the 206 murders that have happened across the five boroughs.
Despite the violence, the Bronx has seen a 19% drop in shootings this year, compared to 2024, when 220 people had been hit by gunfire by the close of August.