New Jersey announces first human West Nile virus cases of 2025



New Jersey health officials announced on Thursday the state had recorded 3 human cases of West Nile virus, the first cases of the year.

A child tested positive in Atlantic County after showing symptoms in July. An adult in Middlesex County also tested positive for the disease earlier in Augiust.

Both residents have been released from the hospital and are recovering at home, officials said.

An asymptomatic blood donor in Sussex County was also reported. Four additional cases are under investigation.

The West Nile virus is a disease commonly spread through the bite of an infected mosquito, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“While the number of WNV human infections is lower than last year, we are seeing high levels of virus circulating in mosquitoes. As mosquito season can last into early November, depending on weather conditions, bite prevention will be essential in protecting yourself and your family against mosquito-borne diseases like West Nile virus in the remaining summer weeks and into the fall,” Acting New Jersey Health Commissioner Jeff Brown said.

“This means avoiding mosquito bites through tried-and-true methods, like using insect repellents, wearing long sleeves and pants, and taking steps to keep mosquitoes outside the home.”

Early symptoms of WNV may be confused with COVID-19 or several other common viral illnesses, the health department said.

“For many people, WNV causes asymptomatic infection. One in five persons will develop a mild to moderate illness, typically with a fever, chills, headache, body aches, joint pains, vomiting, diarrhea or rash,” officials wrote.

Recovery from severe illness can take several weeks or months. Some effects might be permanent.

There are no vaccines or medicines to prevent the virus, which can be fatal.

New Jersey last year had 41 human cases of the West Nile virus, including eight deaths, according to officials.



Source link

Related Posts