The city has yanked the contract to represent indigent New Yorkers in Queens from a troubled non-profit which cut ties in February with its founder and long-time executive director.
The city Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice moved Wednesday to withdraw the contract from Queens Defenders which has been representing New Yorkers since 1996 and turn it over to Brooklyn Defender Services, which has been representing defendants in that borough for the same period.
The move took place after Queens Defenders cut ties with its founder, Lori Zeno, following a wave of controversies over the management of the nonprofit in January and February.
The organization placed Zeno on forced leave on Jan. 31 and her husband, Rashad Ruhani, identified as a senior legal advocate, was fired, the Daily News previously reported.
Zeno, whose annual salary was $434,791, was also barred from the nonprofit’s Queens Blvd. offices. “As a result of information received by the board, Lori Zeno has been placed on leave immediately and is not allowed on any Queens Defenders property,” according to an internal email previously obtained by The News.
“Any attempts of [sic] contact or intimidation should be reported to this email immediately,” the email added.
Two other employees of the nonprofit, Teyana Reyes and Ureka Washington, were also fired at the time, The News previously reported.
On Tuesday, the Queens Daily Eagle reported that the support staff of the organization had voted to unionize, a move they had not done under Zeno, they claimed to the publication, out of fear of reprisals.
The shift in management to Brooklyn Defender Services is not expected to result in layoffs of line public defenders or even most mid-level supervisors, sources familiar with the deal said.
“The most important thing is ensuring stability and minimizing disruptions to the constituents that rely on this representation and the hard-working attorneys employed,” said Deanna Logan, Director of the Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice.
“The best way to accomplish this was a proactive approach, in partnership with the Brooklyn Defenders Services. We’re thankful for their commitment — and that of the attorneys at the Queens Defenders — to providing uninterrupted representation to New Yorkers in need of advocacy.”

Zeno was replaced Feb. 4 by Anthony Martone, who pledged “continuity of representation” during the transition.
“As we progress through this transition, our commitment remains to our clients and the dedicated attorneys, social workers, and support staff members that work tirelessly every day in the pursuit of justice for the people we represent,” Martone said in a statement.
The organization declined further comment through a spokesperson.
Lisa Schreibersdorf, executive director and founder of Brooklyn Defender Services, said she was “thrilled” at the move into Queens.
“We look forward to building new partnerships and collaborating with local organizations and leaders to ensure all people, regardless of income, have access to zealous representation and access to the services and resources they and their families need to thrive,” she said in a statement.
Originally Published: